lunes, 16 de abril de 2007

seven years?

How old were you when you first thought it would be nice to be able to speak Spanish? Seven? Twenty? Forty? When you first saw someone properly communicate with that waiter or maid and make them laugh, or sort some problem out? I was eleven. It was my birthday; we were in Ibiza and my parents got the music guy (from England somewhere) to play the Chicken Song for me – if you’re over 30 and British, you’ll remember it! But my other memory of the day was of the English woman at the next table – she was speaking Spanish. Really speaking Spanish. Not like how my father spoke French, through all credit to him for what French he did speak – my love of language was born in it. But he only survived in French. He didn’t speak it, luxuriate in it, laugh in it. Mum said it was amazing how the lady at the next table could just switch – speak to us in English one second, then in Spanish the next. To me it was Magic.
And it still is. The wonder, the pleasure and the magic never ceases – even now that I speak Spanish myself, there is still a wee bit at the back of my mind that is insufferably smug that I know the trick, that I can DO it.
Yet it isn’t a trick, though there are some tricks that I can show you to help along the way. And anyone can do it. Including you.
Seven years. Ordinary years. And your life – work, family, all the rest still goes on. Just a wee hobby – but you can do it. One step at a time over seven years. How old will you be then? 27? 47? 67? Heck, if you’re any older that that you can retire to Spain and learn it in half the time! Anyway, you’ll still be young enough to become insufferably smug yourself and not only bask in the amazement of family and friends, but also, and more importantly, have the lasting enjoyment of being able to engage properly with Spanish people.

No hay comentarios: