jueves, 26 de abril de 2007

Why take your time:

When I began teaching evening classes for adults, I thought it would be a good idea to start with the same question I ask young people: "OK guys, what do you want to learn? What do you want to be able to do in Spanish?" Now, I had done this many times with young people; here’s what they say:

I want to be able to...
COUNT
TELL THE TIME
BUY AN SANDWICH
SAY THE ALPHABET
GET DIRECTIONS TO THE BEACH
BUY A DRINK
etc., etc.

Oh, they always want to learn bad words too, and I say we’ll do that at the end...

BUT here’s what my whole class of adults said:
Um, well, y’know, I just wanna be able to have, like, a conversation.

Oh dear. Were they serious? Did they think we could do that in one hour a week? They didn’t want Spanish classes at all. They wanted a Magic Wand.
And then it all made sense: all those courses – Learn Spanish in a Day/Weekend/3 months, Spanish made easy, Spanish without tears. They were just trying to give people what they wanted. But it’s all LIES! Well folks, the honesty starts here. These false expectations later lead to otherwise sensible people giving up, saying nonsense like "I just can’t learn languages." Nearly everyone can learn Spanish – if you’re reading this, then you can too.

Now, don’t get me wrong, the actual content of those courses is usually very good. And yet that is the very problem – they just deliver the Spanish, and you have to learn it yourself. No-one ever tells you how to learn. That’s what I’m going to do. And you’re not going to do it in a weekend. But you are going to do it – and enjoy it too!

1 comentario:

mister tumnus dijo...

great post! looking forward to learning how to learn!