viernes, 21 de noviembre de 2008

Amigo

Oh dear. I kinda hate to do this, I don't really like to be negative about anything because I reckon that if it helps you or gets you over an obstacle in your language-learning journey, then that's great. Even bad teachers, poorly written courses or whatever can help certain people if for no other reason than being available in the right place at the right time.

But this just really irritates me, so I'm going to say something about it. But listen, if you have used the Amigo course and it really worked for you, then I'd love to hear about it - I guess I could be wrong and I'd be pleased if it has done someone some good!

The website is here: http://www.avlanguage.com/shenglish/index.htm

... and it sounds like a good idea, I guess. Learn Spanish by reading in English. Or if not a good idea, at least an interesting one. But really their examples are rubbish. And with a moment's consideration, this couldn't possibly work. Spanish has sounds that are different from English. A Spanish "J" for example does NOT sound like an English "H". Not really. Sorry.

And it's not cheap - if it was a budget £5 course, it would be understandable!

Get a teacher, get some tapes or CDs. Anything but this. Generally my thing is to say use whatever you like, whatever helps; I fear that this course could just lead to frustration - do let me know if your experience is different.

On the plus side, the Open University have got some really good materials now available for FREE!! (So why pay anyone anything?!) More about the OU next post!

2 comentarios:

Cody's Cuentos dijo...

I've never heard of this course until now but it sounds like you should ask for a refund. They might surprise you by granting you one since the potential for bad word of mouth from your blog could cost them more business long-term than just giving you your money back.

rocinante dijo...

Thanks, Cody - I'm not sure that there's enough people reading this blog at the moment to really worry them! Still, nice of you to say that!

I like your website, though - I checked it out. Cool stuff, good work!